Tuesday, November 3, 2009

halloween



My sister and I decided to dress up as characters from Alice in Wonderland.
My sis was Alice, I used Simplicity 4015 . My sis wanted something a little different so I altered it a bit and made it more fun. I used Kona Cotton in a royal blue. I draped the back to create the sort of bustle/exposed petticoat look with tiers of eyelet ruffles. I also greatly reduced the width of the skirt, added eyelet ruffle trim around the sleeves, neckline and hem, nixed the neckline bow and went with sweet heart shaped buttons instead.




I was the Mad Hatter,  I used Simplicity 2525 to make the dress, vest, tailcoat and bowtie. I made the dress from a fun feather print I found on the quilting wall at Jo-Anns, for the vest and jacket lining I used costume satin in gold. The bow tie is also costume satin in a vibrant purple. I used a teal cordorouy for the jacket and black Kona Cotton for the sleeve ruffle and collar. I added some crazy fringe to the hem and the sleeves, and the buttons on the back. I used my own pattern to make the top hat out of recycled card board. I found the fun glittery foliage at the craft store and made a corsage.


The costumes were a huge hit and after all that work/fun I think I might be the Mad Hatter every year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment